Bunny Ears At The Park
What Are Bunny Ears™?
Bunny Ears is a Math Recovery® game to encourage fluency with finger patterns. Once a child can make their finger patterns from 1 to 10 in sight, they are ready to move their fingers out of sight or in this case, on top of their head. Kids love this game because it is silly and parents have a great time watching their child problem solve. It is a lot of fun.
How to Make Bunny Ears
1. Ask your child to put their hands in the fire away position on top of their head like a bunny.
2. Ask your child to fire away a number from 1 to 10 while keeping their fingers on top of their head.
3. Notice how your child makes their finger patterns when they are out of sight. Do they count from 1 to find the number? Do they automatically know the number? Do they pull their hands down to make the number?
How Many Ears Did You See? (Modeling bunny ears for your child)
1. Put your hands in the fire away position on top of your head like a bunny.
2. Make a number 1 to 10, keeping your fingers on top of your head.
3. Ask your child, "How many ears do you see on top of my head?"
4. Continue making different patterns on top of your head for your child. Gradually decrease the amount of time you show your bunny ears. Eventually, you should be able to just quickly flash your bunny ears and have your child identify the number.
Video of Bunny Ears